Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wow, I watch a lot of news now?

Yes that's a question mark because I can't believe it. I used to follow the news but not as my automatic choice when trying to relax. Granted, this country was, and continues to be, a hotbed of political activity. I understand that it's important to follow current events, especially because it impacts you but it competes with so much crap these days on television. I used to watch this crap a lot - reality tv shows, specifically. Said shows use to include The Hills, Laguna Beach, some VH1 programming, I think I've said enough. I can defend myself, or at least explain my rationale - however weak you may find it.

When I was in college, I used to study sociology with a concentration in social welfare and public policy and administration. The courses and subject matter in this academic specialization can be depressing and frustrating as hell when you were as liberal as I was in college. (I'm still fairly liberal, but have toned it down a bit - but that's a whole other story). You could safely say I had a bleeding heart. My mental vacation and coping mechanism (besides partying in college) was watching lamely dramatic, and quite comedic, reality tv shows. I'm not totally proud that I supported such egotistical programming, but when you study the hardship in the world you need a break.

I realize now that I am adult, and feel like an adult, because I don't want to support that crap anymore. I want to devote that energy to the events which impact my life and understand their extent. I wonder how many other people my age feel that way and actually follow through? Or, are a little surprised by how much news they watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment