Monday, March 23, 2009

Opt-In

If you could go abroad by yourself for $300 + air fare, would you? Yes, I would.

My new year's resolution was inspired by the Jim Carey film "Yes Man". I decided that I wanted and needed more life in my life, so my plan was to say yes to any opportunity which I found or crossed my path as long as I could realistically do it. Go on a date with someone you don't know? Yes. Attend a local community meeting for the first time? Sure. Stuff like that may not seem like a big deal but when you are someone who would rather go to the gym, watch your show, clean the house, finish that book, close your eyes for 20 minutes, etc (aka find some excuse which would prevent you from executing your regular routine), then I suggest saying yes to the next opportunity which presents itself to you. REALLY. The more uncomfortable the better. I'm sure you can think of something.

I'm not trying to be a life-coach, or act like I've discovered this concept for the first time. But so many people pass up the tiniest of opportunities. Who knows what you might miss out on if you don't cherish the random instances in life.

For me, I'm going to Scotland this summer by myself. I have NEVER traveled abroad (I'm actually waiting for my first passport to arrive any day now), let alone by myself. But, I found an organization, read about it, and thought, "Yes I will go abroad with random people". I'm not comfortable, I don't know what's going to happen, but I know that if I don't utilize the opportunity, I will regret it and always wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment