Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hello, my name is Shannon and I am a movie addict. I have been for as long as I can remember, seriously this is not an exaggeration. There are many home videos of me as a child planted in front of a tv watching movies - Dumbo, awesome. Muppets Take Manhattan, hands down one of my favorite movies of all time - thank you Jim Henson, I really mean that. My taste has thankfully evolved, but I appreciate said classics. This behavior was reinforced when my parents started the tradition of letting my siblings and I rent 2 movies every weekend when we were younger. (Side note: now that I think about it, that may have been the most efficient way to occupy your 4 children for a couple of hours).

This led to my random talent for cross-referencing actors, and my friends can vouch for me. You know when you're watching an animated film, and you recognize the character's voice, but you can't figure out who it is - I got you. I'm sort of like a walking imdb.com. Nevertheless, now that I am a self-proclaimed young professional boggled down by an excessive amount of student debt, I have been able to satisfy my addiction to movies in an extremely cost-effective manner - online websites that stream movies for free. Yes, this might be illegal BUT according to the disclaimers, it's not because they're just streaming. Fingers-crossed they're not lying. I have seen the majority of new movie releases from the comfort of my lap-top, its a beautiful thing. In a way, you could blame the lenders who charge 8% interest for this habit. Renting movies or going to a movie theater isn't exactly a valid excuse for deferment.

I do go to movies occassionally - mainly Harry Potter and films that show at old school theaters, i.e. Bryn Mawr Film Institute. So, if you are a fellow movie addict with a hefty debt from college, Google free movies online (I'd link to the website I use, but I prefer they don't get shut-down). In case you were wondering, I am happy to report, my talent for cross-referencing continues to grow and develop. If you would like to challenge me, do it up - I dare you. (Well, sort of, it could be a blow to my ego if I got it wrong, so nothing too crazy, please.)

No comments:

Post a Comment